Friday, December 3, 2010

Winter Comes

While the timing of Chad's arrival was perfect for Tom's  and my outlook, our weather changed dramatically with his visit. Poor guy! The temperatures dropped by 10 degrees, and everyday he was here at least a little snow fell. By the time he left, I shoveled off 6-8 inches of snow from our balconies. Since then, our ground has been white and our temperatures consistently below freezing. I have learned it is never too cold to go outside. It is just a matter of dressing properly. Today was an example, temperatures were well below freezing, and snow fell heavily at times. But my jog around the park was wonderful, because I have mastered how many layers to put on. I love running in the snow, as it pads your step. My knees never hurt afterwards. As it is coming down, it is beautiful and you even get a better workout, as your shoes slip in the snow, traction is difficult.

So winter has arrived. You can feel it coming. First the winter coats come out. And you know they are here until spring. Then you make a note to self, "Don't leave the house without gloves on". Next, unlike Connecticut, you need a hat! The final step to winter, is the scarf. To avoid pain, you have to cover your face. I believed our temperatures here would be like Ridgefield. Not so, more snow, much colder temperatures!

The snow is wonderful  because it brightens everything up. All my plants are lined up against a window, competing for as much sunshine as they can get, each day brings less. Yesterday, I left a Christmas lunch at 3:30pm, and it was dark. Both Tom and I get up in the dark, about 8:30am, it starts to get light. So we are still getting about seven hours of light. It doesn't seem to bad to me, I enjoy the Christmas lights more in the dark. And as soon as I get home, I turn on our lights. As I decorated, I picked out some fun lighting. They have the most unique lights here. Nothing like them in the states. I have one light that looks like a bird cage, even has little tweeties in it. (Thought it would keep Gunnar amused). Another looks like a big blossom opening to bloom. The others defy description. You will have to come see.

Maybe not right now, but in the spring. Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful and the Christmas season brings special joys.

1 comment:

  1. The Finns say, "No such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." We're learning that. It's not too bad with the warm coat I bought from Lands End UK. We got our Christmas tree delivered today (yeah!) and have the lights on it. Like you, we actually got some interesting lights in addition to just plain white ones. I couldn't believe the number of lights to choose from! The lack of daylight hasn't really bothered us too much, either. We do make a point of sitting in front of our sunlamp most days, though.

    Hope you're getting excited for visitor number 2 and your travels south. We leave in 2.5 weeks for southern France and London. Yeah!!!

    ReplyDelete