Sunday, September 19, 2010

Houssehold Chores

     Tom has a busy week at work, including hosting his two bosses, a trip to London, and a trip to Copenhagen. His normal work week has him leaving here at 7:00am, and returning around 8:00pm, when he is in town. I am very happy I brought (aka Kalvin, our cat), he is now known as Gunnar, he feels he fits in better. Adjustment for Gunnar has been a little slow, he reminds me he is a country cat, in the city. Also, the only other pets we have come across in the building are toy poodles. Gunnar believes they move way to fast, and are very snippy and yippy! He has told us he could take them both on simultaneously,(he weighs more than the two of them added together), but he realizes this is not the reputation he is looking for.
     So with cat walks to the park filling my day, you can understand why I have taken a new interest in household chores. To begin, a few things we were promised, when we first saw  the apartment, didn't materialize. Most of you are aware our lease stated, "one cat", not the oral OK, they gave us for two. Also, the "parking in the building", did exist, but as a tenant, not the original owner, Tom was not eligible. So he continues to circle the block in search of a space, and I run out when he travels, moving it and paying the $15 daily parking fee. The lighting that was removed,  has been replaced, so it's a much brighter place. And believe it or not, when our landlord left, he left us with an oven and stove which did not work. Last week, my household chore was to replace it. Last night we had our first homecooked meal!
     We are piecing it altogether, but our sea cargo has not arrived, so a place to sit, is tough to find. And I am growing tired of laying on an airobed on the floor! It does motivate you to keep much cleaner floors, and here I have grown as a housekeeper! Besides the normal floors and bathrooms, there isn't alot of dusting necessary yet, Gunnar and I keep ourselves entertained by doing laundry. Our washer here in the apartment can hold a maximum load of three pairs of shorties (Tom's briefs) and two pairs of socks. OK, maybe a slight exageration, but pretty close. And of course, there is no dryer, again, something that wasn't mentioned during our original viewing.
     But I am getting plenty of exercise, I use the laundry six flights down and across the complex. That is no exaggeration! It requires walking outside so it should be fun when the snow flies.Anyway, it does have larger washers,but Swedes don't use a tumble dryer. Instead, you have bars that you hang your clothes across, you close the dryer and it bakes your clothes dry. Yes, that is true , when you take the clothes out, they have the texture of baked chicken skin.(Nice and crispy) I am exploring fabric softeners now, but they present one more large container you  must drag back from the grocery store! Highlight of my week, I now can shop without Tom's assistance.  I use to need extra hands to carry everything back from the grocery. Now I take the large black-wheeling suitcase, we sent our kids to college with, I wheel it down (about a mile), fill it to the brim, and wheel it back. There are a few groceries closer, however, if you don't want black bananas, and apples as big as walnuts, it is worth the trip!
      So goes our life here in Sweden, it has truly been great fun so far! We were warned, things will be different. It developes one's sense of humor. And we are saving all kinds of money on a gym-still no personal number. We do go across the street to the park and run. Probably, heading there shortly, not wash day today. Be well and appreciate those washer/dryers!

1 comment:

  1. Are you sure you aren't living in my apartment in Helsinki???!!! After 5 nights on the Ikea sleeper sofa (and not sleeping), I insisted on a hotel. My beloved said actually getting sleep made me a changed women. He is right. It all gets so much better when you get your sea shipment. You can make it feel like home. Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete