Monday, September 27, 2010

Making Friends

Until now our social calendars have been a little flat. We have met a few neighbors. Joined one couple for wine and appetizers and another for dinner. Both couples were genuinely interested in us and very eager to help us get adjusted. No one could ask for more. But day to day, you really miss those friends you left behind! Last week was a great one because I joined the International Women's Club. While the Swedish friends I have made, can always be counted on for help and direction when asked. They have established friends, and unlike Americans, the more the merrier does not apply.
At the International Club, I found it quite different. Interestingly enough, I did not meet a single American, but many Brits, Dutch, and Asians. The common theme throughout was that we were all looking for new friends! For the first time since we arrived, my dance card is filled. I had three invites to lunch this week, a friend who wanted to revisit the Modern Museum, and a reception for a gentlemen publishing his first book. Knowing a few people certainly helps the adjustment.
Besides a social life opening up to us, Tom and I took our first adventure outside of Stockholm. It was a beautiful fall weekend, the tops of our trees are just starting to color. We ventured to a little town an hour outside Stockholm-

2 comments:

  1. Look at you the Swedish Social Butterfly! Nice job finding people to hang out with already, it can take a while. Now you just need to get up to snuff on your Swedish so you can make some blonde friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is the rest of the post Mumzy! I'm hanging on a thread here until I find out where you traveled to!

    ReplyDelete